We use cookies to ensure that we provide you with the best possible experience on our website. More information on the cookies we set can be found in our privacy policy.


Shared Owners cannot sublet or allow somebody else to occupy either part of or the whole of their property, except in exceptional circumstances. You are also not permitted to use Airbnb or any other short term rental scheme. However, if you have staircased to 100% ownership of your property, you should be able to sublet. Newlon will need to be made aware of who will be living at the property and, as you are responsible for all repairs to the property and the behaviour of any tenants, we need a relevant forwarding address and contact details.

Subletting is not the same as having a lodger because a lodger does not have the same security of a tenancy. There are certain rules in place but if you follow them and let ourselves, your mortgage lender and your insurers know that you intend to take on a lodger, there should not be a problem.

To apply to sublet you will need to complete the relevant application form, which be can be downloaded below.

For more information please email customerservice@newlon.org.uk or call 020 7613 8080.

Related documents