We use cookies to ensure that we provide you with the best possible experience on our website. More information on the cookies we set can be found in our privacy notice.

Moving to another home

As a Newlon resident if you want to move to another social housing home the best option is to consider an exchange with someone else who wants to move. An exchange is not limited to Newlon properties, as you can swap with social housing residents nationally, including those living in local authority homes. As well as Newlon’s own mutual exchange scheme, which is for our residents looking to swap with each other, there are a number of national exchange schemes and you can find details of these below.

Mutual exchange

Mutual exchange allows you to swap homes with another Newlon resident or a resident from another housing association or local authority. It is available to residents who have a secure, assured, or five year fixed term tenancy.

First you need to find another tenant who wants to swap.

To find another Newlon tenant who wants to swap their home you can read our quarterly mutual exchange board, which contains an up to date list of other Newlon tenants also looking to move home. This is distributed with our newsletters but you can also download it at www.newlon.org.uk/publications/mutual-exchange. If you find a tenant you would like to swap with you can apply by filling in the mutual exchange application form. To advertise your property in this leaflet please call the Service Centre on 020 7613 8080 or email customerservice@newlon.org.uk.

HomeSwapper is the largest organisation for social housing residents wishing to move home through a mutual exchange. Thousands of people join every month to move locally or across the UK. HomeSwapper makes daily checks for new swaps and you can log on anytime to view them. It can also send you ‘match alerts’ to ensure that you don’t miss out on your ideal home. If you are interested in a swap you can contact the other resident and arrange to view each other’s properties. We have partnered with HomeSwapper so it is free for Newlon residents to use. You can join by registering at www.homeswapper.co.uk.

More information about how mutual exchange works can be found in the following leaflet:

Other available schemes

You can search wider via a few other schemes:

Housing Moves is the Mayor of London’s housing mobility scheme that allows tenants of London boroughs or housing associations to move outside their existing borough to a different part of London. It is run by the Greater London Authority and the majority of London boroughs and housing associations are participating. Find out more about how it works at www.housingmoves.org.

Seaside & Country Homes is a scheme for tenants aged 60 or older. The scheme helps around 150 households to move from London each year to bungalows or flats in desirable seaside and countryside locations. Learn more about it and the full eligibility criteria at www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/housing-and-land/council-and-social-housing/seaside-and-country-homes/seaside-and-country-homes-transfer-scheme.

Contact your local authority

You can try contacting your local council, as they may be able to offer advice or assistance in finding you a suitable home.

Shared Ownership

Depending on your circumstances you could consider the possibility of becoming a homeowner through Shared Ownership if you want to move home. Newlon and a wide range of other housing associations provide homes for low cost home ownership designed to help people on lower to middle incomes take a first step on the property ladder.

You can find out more about the Shared Ownership properties we have available at www.newlonliving.co.uk.

You can also look for other Shared Ownership homes via the Homes for Londoners search tool.

Transfer scheme

We carry out a very small number of transfers each year, moving residents from one Newlon property to another. However, due to the high demand for transfers and the very low numbers of properties available for people to transfer to, we can only consider transfers in exceptional circumstances.