We use cookies to ensure that we provide you with the best possible experience on our website. More information on the cookies we set can be found in our privacy notice.


Residents with an assured or secure tenancy occasionally move from one Newlon property to another via a transfer.

However, due to the high demand for transfers and the very low numbers of properties available for people to transfer to, we can only consider transfers in the following exceptional circumstances:

  • Medical Transfer – where we need to help someone move urgently due to health reasons
  • Decants – when we have to move people due to the poor condition of their property

Newlon’s definition of medical need is where an applicant or a member of their household’s current housing conditions are having a major adverse effect on their health and this will be substantially improved by moving to alternative accommodation. We use independent medical advisors to assess this.

You will also need to meet some other criteria, including having a clear rent account.

As a result of such high demand we advise residents to explore more realistic options if they wish to move to another social housing home. We recommend mutual exchange as the best route, which you can read about in the ‘moving to another home‘ section of the website.

How can I apply?

If you would like to apply for a transfer then please download and complete the application form below and email it to customerservice@newlon.org.uk. You should receive a response from us within ten working days.