Remember, if you have a fire in your home call 999.
The following tips come from the London Fire Brigade:
- Take extra care – especially when you are cooking or smoking.
- Make sure that you have a smoke alarm. Check that it works and change the battery if you need to. Do not paint over or cover it.
- Make sure you know how you would get out of your home if there is a fire – and that everyone in your home knows.
- Stub out cigarettes properly, dispose of them carefully and do not throw them out of windows or off balconies.
- Put candles out. Use a snuffer or a spoon as it is safer than blowing them out as sparks can fly.
- Double check the cooker is off after you have finished cooking.
- Turn off and unplug electrical appliances after use, unless they are designed to be left on – like your fridge.
- Close inside doors at night to stop a fire from spreading.
- Make sure any exits are kept clear.
- Keep door and window keys where everyone can find them, including guests if they are staying over.