Coronavirus update – information for residents
30th Mar 2020
As an organisation we are doing all we can to continue functioning normally during this difficult period. Here you can find updates of the impact it is having on our services and how we are managing them.
Offices closed to the public
In line with Government guidance Newlon is maximising working from home.
As a result all of our offices will be closed to the public until further notice.
We will be cancelling or rearranging any face to face appointments.
If you need a service such as a repair you can email us, call us, or book this online in the normal way: www.newlon.org.uk/contact-us.
Currently we are only able to provide appointments for essential jobs, as follows:
- Annual gas safety checks.
- No heating or hot water boiler.
- Uncontrollable water leaks resulting in damage to property.
- Radiator leaks which can’t be contained.
- Gas or solid fuel fire faults, if it is the only form of heating.
- Priority boiler installation.
- Any loss of electricity to a whole circuit, such as.all lights or all plug sockets, or a single socket if it controls a cooker or boiler.
- Any electrical component, such as a light switch, light fitting, or socket which is damaged or sparking/crackling, and may cause electrical shock.
- Failure of smoke, heat or carbon monoxide detectors.
- Loss of mains drinking water.
- Loss of water supply to the toilet for flushing.
- Loss of water to for washing facilities, such as issues with supply to a bath or shower. This does not apply where there is alternative option, such as where there is loss of supply to a bath but there is a separate shower, or vice versa,
- Loss of water to individual taps where there is no other source of that supply in the property.
- Any leaks and burst pipes, unless it is minor and can easily be contained for the foreseeable future.
- Structural problems that constitute imminent danger.
- Making safe after break-ins, attempted break-ins or broken windows. This does not include cracks to windows where the glass is still intact.
- Blocked drains causing back-surge of sewage, or where the main drain blockage means you cannot use your toilet.
- Persons locked out due to defective locks or broken keys, but not lost keys.
- Any issues that are related to a disability or vulnerability, such as loss of a shower facility for those who require daily washing facilities associated with a medical or physical need.
- Any other repairs that present an issue of danger within the property, which includes trip hazards within a property where the person is considered vulnerable.
- Communal repairs can be reported as normal.
All contracts such as cleaning and health and safety inspections are continuing to be carried out, but this may be at a reduced level than normal.
Please continue to follow all the Government and NHS guidance on personal hygiene, especially in regard to sanitising and washing your hands. This is a very important part of maintaining safety in communal areas.
Income and rent
If you are experiencing hardship due to coronavirus, for example because your ability to work is affected, we will be as supportive as possible. Please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Universal credit should be available to assist residents in this instance and we may be able to signpost you to our in-house welfare benefits adviser for additional advice and support.
The Income team may contact people separately to provide advice on financial support where we become aware that residents are experiencing difficulties.
The Resident Services team are continuing to provide the majority of services as normal. Residents can continue to seek advice from our in-house welfare benefits adviser. The team is also signposting to local community support initiatives.
However, all our community halls are closed for the foreseeable future.
We have produced up to date guidance on financial support for those affected by coronavirus.
You can find out more advice from the team and links for help elsewhere at newlon.org.uk/resident-services-help.
Email email@example.com or call 020 7033 4605 if you need to get in touch with a member of the team.
ASB and Enforcement
If you need to contact us please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Viewings will either be carried out virtually or, if resources allow, physically. You may be asked to wear gloves and a face covering. When viewing only you and one other adult can be in attendance, no children will be permitted. If you are shortlisted for a property, we will contact you first to request your documents to check your eligibility. We will need this information quite quickly. If accepted, you will then be invited to view.
You can see the properties we have available on our dedicated lettings website.
Sales, staircasing, remortgaging and lease extensions
We are doing our best to maintain service as usual. However, there will likely be some delays in responding to customers’ and solicitors’ enquiries. We are working to minimise any disruption to our sales process as well as facilitating completions of transactions, but are taking extra precautions at every stage. Please contact us should you have any concerns and we will support you however we can.
For all new sales enquiries, please email email@example.com.
For all other enquiries, such as staircasing, resales, lease extensions, remortgaging and transfer of equity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can still express interest in our upcoming and available homes on our sales website – newlonliving.co.uk.
If you are planning on moving to a new home in the near future please make sure you follow the latest government guidance on moving.
The Estate Office is closed to the public, but you can continue to contact them to report repairs or other issues by emailing email@example.com or calling 020 7833 2525.
If you have coronavirus or are self-isolating
If you contact us about a repair or appointment please let us know if you have a confirmed case of coronavirus or are self-isolating. We may wish to share this information with any contractors and will discuss this with you when you contact us.
Social distancing measures
Where we are carrying out appointments or meeting with residents or contractors we will follow the latest Government guidelines such as avoiding unnecessary close contact.
We recommend our residents follow updates and advice from the government and NHS about coronavirus.
If you have any other questions please contact our Service Centre on by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 7613 8080.