We use cookies to ensure that we provide you with the best possible experience on our website. More information on the cookies we set can be found in our privacy notice.

Getting a home

  • How do I get a Newlon home?

    The majority of homes that we manage are for social rent. We do not take direct applications for this type of housing, so to become one of our residents you will need to be referred to us in one of the following ways:

    • Via your local council – the majority of our social lettings go to local authorities. You will need to be registered on your local council’s waiting list. Contact your local council to find out more.
    • By specialist support agencies –  we currently work with a small number of agencies in partnership with Outward, our support and care partner, to offer ‘move-on’ accommodation to some people who no longer need support.
    • By another housing association – we are a member of HomeSwapper, which helps residents to transfer between housing associations if they want to move to a different area.

    Alternatively, we provide Shared Ownership and Intermediate Rent homes. Find out more at www.newlon.org.uk/finding-home.

  • Where can I get information on Shared Ownership?

    To find information regarding Shared Ownership please go to www.newlon.org.uk/finding-home/shared-ownership. You can also see the Shared Ownership properties we have available at our dedicated sales website, Newlon Living.

    You can request our Shared Ownership Information Sheet to be emailed or posted to you. Please call the Service Centre or email customerservice@newlon.org.uk.

    In order to qualify you must be a first time buyer with sufficient savings for a deposit and legal fees. Priority is usually given to those living in the borough that the property is developed in.

  • How can I register interest in a particular Shared Ownership property?

    If you are interested in buying one of our Shared Ownership properties please visit www.newlonliving.co.uk where you can see what is available and register your interest by submitting a form. Once the form has been submitted you will hear from a member of the Sales team.

  • Am I eligible for an Intermediate Rent property?

    Anyone who meets our eligibility criteria can apply for an Intermediate Rent home. You can find out what these criteria are and see what homes we have available at www.newlonlettings.co.uk.

  • How do I apply for an Intermediate Rent home?

    We have a range of different types of Intermediate Rent homes including one and two bedroom flats and cluster accommodation – which are similar to traditional nursing accommodation, where small groups of people share a self-contained apartment.

    All of our Intermediate Rent housing meets ‘secure by design’ standards and have been specifically designed with people who work shifts in mind.

    To view the Intermediate Rent properties available and for more information please go to our lettings website: www.newlonlettings.org.uk.

  • How can I be referred for Sheltered Housing?

    You will be allocated Sheltered Housing through your local authority. All information should be provided to the supporting housing team of the local authority in which you are currently based for them to complete an assessment.

  • How can I find out about the date and time of a viewing? (Intermediate Rent)

    If you are invited to view a property you will be contacted via email with the date and time to visit the property. This email will be sent to the email address you used to sign up to the Lettings website.

  • How will I know the outcome of a viewing? (Intermediate Rent)

    Once you have viewed a property you will be informed at the time whether you have been successful. Viewers are prioritised based on certain criteria (whether they are a key worker, the date they applied, the current borough they are residing in and affordability). If you are the successful applicant you will be asked to pay a holding fee at the time of the viewing to secure the property.

  • How can I find out about the date and time of a viewing? (General Needs)

    If you are invited to view a property you will be contacted by letter if the viewing is arranged in advance. If not you will be informed via email, phone call or a text message.

  • How will I know the outcome of a viewing? (General Needs)

    General Needs accommodation is allocated to people on the basis of priority need. Before you view a property you will be made aware if there are viewings by people higher up the priority list. If the person highest up the list does not want the property then an offer will be made to the person next in line, and will continue down the list if they reject it too.

  • How do I pay a deposit? (Intermediate Rent)

    In order to hold a property you will be required to pay a £200 holding fee, which you will need to do through our Service Centre. This is non-refundable. An appointment will then be made for you to come into the office to complete paperwork and pay the remainder of the deposit. You are required to pay the equivalent of one month’s rent as a deposit and then one month’s rent in advance, from which the holding fee will be taken off. You can contact the Service Centre on 020 7613 8080.

  • How do I pay a deposit? (General Needs)

    To secure your property you will be required to pay one week’s rent as a deposit. If you are unable to pay the deposit up front you will have to do so within nine months of signing the tenancy. You should contact the Service Centre on 020 7613 8080 and state which property you are paying the deposit for. Once payment has been made you will receive a reference number.

  • How do I get my deposit back upon leaving a property?

    Once you have returned the keys to your property you are eligible to receive your deposit back. The amount returned, if any, will be based on the condition of the property when vacating and whether you have any arrears. Once this has been calculated we will contact you and return any remaining deposit.