Terms and conditions – Barnsbury Community Centre
Booking administration and payments
- A booking form is required for the hire of Barnsbury Community Centre (the Centre) and/or kitchen facilities. No hall hire will take place without a signed booking form and the acceptance of the hall hire terms and conditions.
- Time of booking will be held with payment of deposit but full booking will only be confirmed on receipt of full hall hire charges.
- Applications for venue hire will be accepted only if the nature of the function is considered appropriate by the Centre or Newlon Housing Trust in line with current legislation (in particular, events or activities should not contravene the Equality Act 2010). The hirer cannot use the hall for any illegal or immoral activity or for encouraging or promoting harmful or offensive activity. Moreover, the Centre cannot be used for any event or activity which may cause nuisance, annoyance or damage to the property or surrounding neighbourhood. The Centre is not to be used for the purposes of promoting extremist views (that may contravene the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015). The Centre staff and Newlon reserves the right to refuse bookings should they fall outside of the above standards .
- Regular hall hirers are required to hold keys for requested space(s) at an additional £40 on top off the original deposit. Loss of keys will result in a charge of £40 per incident.
- Keys should not be copied by the hall hirer but should be requested from staff at the Centre.
- Only the hirer and the second signed name on the agreement are permitted to hold the allocated keys.
Times of use
- All hall hire activities must cease by 8pm (Monday to Sunday), with 30 minutes allowance given for clearing away.
- The premises must be vacated by 8pm (Monday to Sunday). Failure to leave the premises by said time will lead to a £10 charge for every ten minutes after the end time.
- If it is a one-off booking, the hirer must check in and out of the premises before and after use of the space. The caretaker will log this process for after-hours or weekend bookings.
Building and property usage/hirer conduct
- During the summer while the doors and windows are open, hirers must be considerate to local residents by reducing the volume of any audio devices used. This may mean that hirers may need to bring in their own cooling systems and fans to manage the heat.
- When exiting and entering the Centre, hall hirers and hall users should behave in a quiet and orderly manner so as not to disturb the local residents. Noise should be kept to a minimum.
- The outside areas (play areas, football/basketball pitch, and community garden) are not accessible as a condition of this letting. Unauthorised access to the outside areas will result in full loss of deposit.
- Public and Employers’ Liability Insurance: Newlon Housing Trust’s liability is limited to meetings and functions organised and operated by the Trust. Please note that bouncy castles are not permitted within or around the Barnsbury Community Centre.
- The centre/building should be locked by the key holder.
- The hirer is responsible for the conduct of all his/her function’s attendees – this relates to:
- All costs incurred due to lost hire income or cleaning charges as a result of the room(s) or building not being left in a clean condition.
- Ensuring that the maximum number of people per room is not exceeded. (Should the number be exceeded, Newlon takes no responsibility and the hirer will be held responsible and accountable). The maximum number of people per room is for health, safety and fire safety reasons, and to monitor the number of people in the building at any given time.
- Reporting any damages caused during the event/function (the hirer will be held responsible if the damage has occurred during the period of hire). Where applicable, all hirers must be covered by their own insurance (proof may be requested) and the hirer is liable for activities undertaken directly within or around the Centre.
- Any accidents or concerns should be reported to the Centre staff or Newlon as soon as possible.
- Disposing of rubbish in the outside bins.
- Leaving the premises clean and tidy and any furniture should be put back as it was found.
- Arriving and leaving at the times specified on the booking form.
- Ensuring that alcohol is not sold on the premises.
- Ensuring that guests/participants have left the building by the end of the hire period.
- Ensuring that noise is kept to a minimum at all times.
- Ensuring children are supervised at all times.
- Ensuring that individuals and groups behave in an orderly manner while using the Centre and the property.
- No rear external, garage or other areas on the estate are included in the hire and are out of bounds. The hirer must ensure that individuals in their group do not stray into these areas.
- Smoking within the building or directly in front of the premises is prohibited.
- WiFi is available and log-in information should be obtained from staff at the Centre. WiFi should only be used during the time of the booking and should not be used for large-scale downloading. Inappropriate use may impact the booking and may be monitored and reported to the authorities.
Payments and deposits
- A deposit of £100 is payable at the time of booking and is refundable 14 days after your event, at the earliest. Deposits are returnable to the hirer after 14 days of the hall hire at the very earliest, following checks by staff.
- A deposit of £150 is payable at the time of booking for regular hires after close of business or on weekends and, if refundable, 7 days after your event concludes.
- Payments for hire must be made in advance.
- If, for whatever reason, the booking time becomes unavailable (through no fault of the hirer), Newlon will refund any monies the hirer has paid in that regard.
- All monies should be payable to Newlon Housing Trust.
- All Newlon residents will be charged a discounted rate of hire for use of any halls, on the provision of proof of address and identity.
- One-off hirers are required to pay an additional £25 on top of their total hire fee to cover opening/closing and caretaking costs for bookings that fall outside of regular hours (i.e. during weekends and after 5pm on weekdays).
- There are no parking facilities outside the centre and clamping is in operation.
- You are permitted to load and unload in the drop off point outside the Centre for 10 minutes only.
- During weekdays (9am to 5pm) estate parking can be purchased from the office within the Centre and there is on-street parking nearby.
- The number of people in the main hall shall not exceed 50.
- The number of people in the interview room shall not exceed 6.
- Newlon will ensure that the premises are clean and ready for use.
- The premises will be left as found by the hirer.
Breaches and charges
- Each breach of conduct will result in a £20 charge on deposit.
- For those groups who have regular bookings, if the deposit is used to cover costs of repairs, groups with regular bookings must ensure that the deposit deficit is repaid in full prior to their next session. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of the hire agreement and may be subject to 20% cancellation charge.
- Should the hirer wish to cancel a booking, 10 days’ notice is required prior to the event taking place. If such notice is not given the hirer’s deposit will not be returned.
- In the event of any damages occurring during the event/function, repair costs will be deducted from the initial deposit. If the cost of repairs exceeds the initial deposit, the hirer agrees to pay any excess.